Common skin conditions associated with Wrestling, MMA, BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) and other contact sports
If you spend enough time on the mat you will inevitably have a run-in with some sort of skin condition. If you’ve read the article on picking the proper soap then you’re already one step ahead of the game, but it’s good to know what you’re up against.
Typically, skin conditions fall into four categories, parasitic, fungal, viral and bacterial. The most common of these is Tinea corporis - also known as ringworm - which is caused by a fungus, not a worm. Other ailments can include Impetigo, MRSA/Staphylococcus aureus, Scabies, Cellulitis and even Herpes simplex. Here is a quick rundown to help identify each.
- Ringworm is a fungal infection often defined by one or more ring-shaped spots with a rough edges and clearing of the center
- Impetigo is bacterial infection that starts as a red sore that ruptures, oozes for a few days and then forms a honey-colored crust. Sores mainly occur around the nose and mouth.
- MRSA, commonly referred to as a Staph infection, is a bacterial infection that often starts out as small red bumps, but can quickly turn into deep, painful abscesses.
- Scabies is actually caused by a mite, a tiny, invisible bug that burrows under the skin and causes a widespread, itchy, little red bumpy rash, typically in the skin folds.
- Cellulitis is a common and sometimes painful bacterial skin infection. It may first appear as a red, swollen area that feels hot and tender to the touch. The redness and swelling can spread quickly. It most often affects the skin of the lower legs, although the infection can occur anywhere on your body or face.
- Herpes simplex is a viral infection that causes painful blisters, which rupture and scab over.
Unfortunately, the one thing all of these have in common is that they are easily spread through the type of close skin to skin contact often associated with wrestling, jiu-jitsu, MMA and other contact sports. However, there is hope. Here at Contact Sports Soap (CSS) we believe the best offense is a good defense soap! Unlike other sterilizing anti-bacterial soaps that focus on killing bacteria on the skin, CSS takes a probiotic approach to support the bodies natural defenses against bacterial and fungal infections. This approach bolsters the natural defensive layer that can help prevent viral and parasitic infection. The skin is the bodies largest organ - don’t disarm it, support it with Contact Sports Soap’s unique blend of probiotics.
Leave a comment